Blue Bell Lakes, 25th August 2016

Getting back into fishing with Mark we had decided that a few days of match fishing and a day of big carp fishing.  We decided to try Blue Bell Lakes again, mainly due to the shop on-site and it's locality to Mark.

I'd packed the Carp gear, but to be honest, not checked everything as I was confident it was all in the rod bag and haversack.

We picked Blue Bell Lake and swims close to where we fished it before with the willow trees opposite.

Set-Up
I thought I'd packed well, but the first thing I couldn't find was the rod pod!  With the weather I opted for a zig rig on one carp rod and seeing the large shoal of bream I broke out the pellet waggler rod.

All-In
Well, before the all-in we could not find the landing net handle, so off to the shop and Mark purchased a new net and handle... more about this later.

I cast the zig rig to the centre of the lake and the plan was to leave it for an hour.  Meantime I was pinging 8mm pellets to the large shoal of bream trying to snare one on the pellet waggler.

There were 3 guys who had been at the lake all week, one of them came over for a chat.  They had seen plenty of fish but hadn't had any runs or fish!

Today could be a long day!  I was on the pellet waggler for around an hour and finally I hooked a bream!  It was my turn to call for the net boy!

The fish came in without any issues and after weighing it, a new personal best, only 5lb 6oz, but a PB is a PB!

I had a few knocks on the zig, which were clearly line bites.  Re-casting the zig rig further towards the willow trees as plenty of large carp were crashing over there.

I fished the pellet waggler for the whole day, but unfortunately no more bream.

Mark in the meantime hadn't had any bites either.  It was a lovely relaxing day, but no fish came out.

Result
As bream didn't count today, no carp it was called a draw today.

Conclusion
The massive shoal of bream cruising up and down was just too tempting.  Pellet waggler tactics worked and proved a good distraction while waiting for any carp.  The only problem is that I only had one carp rod out at a time.

Still another day of learning.  Tomorrow it would be back to carp on the pole at Kingsland!


New PB!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Semerwater, Wensleydale, 15th May 2022

Renny Lakes, East Harlsey, 14th May 2023

Lake Semerwater, Wensleydale, 13th November 2022